“When the Roaring Lion calls my Henry, I’m dreaming hours down to minutes…”
In 1913 Annie enters the remote mountains of Kahurangi National Park to live a hidden life with her lover Henry Chaffey.
Forty years in exile, swallowed by the silence, enslaved by the fire. This beautiful, touching true story is about Annie Chaffey’s love, loneliness, loss and laughter. An old story from a new perspective.
“Solitude is storytelling at its finest. Writer, director and performer, Martine Baanvinger of DramaLab, is utterly compelling, humorous and breathtakingly honest as Annie. Not only is this an interesting New Zealand story but it is told by an expert in an incredibly imaginative and touching way.”
– Lisa Allen, Nelson Fringe Festival.
Click HERE for tour dates.
Klezmer music with The Kugels – wild, spirited and haunting.
Three top musicians and a celebrated composer have joined together in their love of klezmer, the feisty 19th century folk music of the Jewish people. Robin Perks, Debbie Rawson and Jacqueline Nordon, former members of the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, and composer/New Zealand Arts Laureate Ross Harris were a great hit when they toured with AOTNZ in 2016. Now they’re back again with music that makes you want to dance.
The programme features the original Klezmer compositions of accordionist/NZ Arts Laureate Ross Harris, interspersed with music from the traditional repertory – originally played at weddings and other celebrations in Eastern and Central Europe.
Featuring the highly expressive sound of violin, clarinet, accordion and bass, laced with the multi-talented reeds of Debbie Rawson on soprano sax, clarinet, bass clarinet and the Maui Xaphoon, The Kugels bring these exciting and evocative songs to the stage, together with an informative and engaging commentary.
“This amazing ensemble gave a concert of rare quality that would grace any of the top auditoria worldwide.” – Geraldine Community Arts Council News
“The band is tight, with Debbie Rawson and Robin Perks by turns plaintive and zesty on reeds and fiddle, while Harris’ compositional ingenuity…is staggering” – William Dart, NZ Herald
Click HERE for tour dates.
We are grateful to our sponsors for their continued support.
Arts On Tour NZ is a community-focused agency with a high level of professional expertise and a wealth of experience. We are the pre-eminent touring agency to rural and outlying centres in New Zealand. We provide access to the performing arts for audiences in all three islands (including Stewart Island) by offering an annual selection (Menu 2019) of top-quality performers, promotional material, guidance and tour management to local presenters.
A PDF version of our “Menu” is available for download, however, selections are best made through our online Booking Form. We are also happy to receive applications from prospective performers through our Artist’s Application Form.
- AOTNZ is doing a wonderful job of delivering affordable quality NZ theatre into small towns. CMB’s audience is rapt! ~ Creative Mercury Bay Whitianga
- It so good to get performances of this calibre in our small towns. Thanks so much to you and Arts on Tour for making it happen…Overall I am really pleased about the base of support we are building and we are getting a lot of expressions of appreciation for bringing the shows to town… ~ Hokitika
- I would just like to congratulate you on the fantastic job that you do for Arts on Tour. It is such a great service for small towns like Twizel. ~ Twizel Community Arts Council
- Thanks Steve and your team for such a great variety of events. Keep up the good work. We love this programme of events. ~ Creative Queenstown